Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Overlooked Movies -- Vibes

Here we go again with another of those movies that nobody likes but me.  Judy and I went to see this one in the theater because of the stars.  We figured we couldn't go wrong with Cyndi Lauper, Jeff Goldblum, and Peter Falk, and we were right.  At least for us.  Not for the critics, and probably not for anybody else.  We loved it, though.

One reason was Cyndi Lauper, who plays a psychic who has a spirit guide named Louise.  Another reason was Goldblum, who's also a psychic, but of a different kind.  He can touch an object and its whole history will be revealed to him.  A third reason was Falk, who's great as a duplicitous adventurer, a role that echoes his work in The In-Laws  He comes up with some lies that are almost as good here, or maybe they're even better.  He hires Lauper and Goldblum to accompany him to the Ecuadorean Andes to search for his missing son, but his real purpose is quite different.  He's looking for a lost city of gold.  I can't resist lost cities of gold, but that's not what they find.  I can't tell what that is, though.

There was a twist in this movie that I didn't expect and didn't like until the end, when it all turned out all right.  I can say no more about that, either.

I checked out the Rotten Tomatoes rating for Vibes.  It's sitting at 6%.  This tells you a lot about my taste in movies.

11 comments:

Jeff Meyerson said...

I remember hearing about this but never saw it. Jackie loves Jeff Goldblum. And speaking of the latter, this is somewhat (but not totally) off-topic. We started streaming about a dozen shows on Netflix last week. One was a British drama called RIVER with Stellan Skarsgard in the title role, a cop who sees and interacts with dead people (WARNING: SPOILER ALERT, WILL ROBINSON!!), including his former partner, who rides along with him while he tries to find her killer (END WARNING).

I kept having this feeling of deja vu and remember where it came from: Raines, a short-lived Jeff Goldblum series that Jackie may have been one of the few people who remember and liked it.

No one else I know has mentioned (or seen) the resemblance, but trust me - it's there.

mybillcrider said...

Judy and I watched that one, and I thought of it immediately when you mentioned the premise of RIVER.

George said...

I'm going to track down a copy of VIBES and watch it.

mybillcrider said...

Don't say you weren't warned.

Mike Stamm said...

I had never heard of VIBES before today; sounds like it might be worth a look. (It's been a long time since I thought of RAINES, but I really enjoyed it for as long as it lasted.)

Anonymous said...

I have not heard of any of these movies/shows!! I am sadly lacking in movie
mojo, I see.

Vibes sounds like a fun movie to watch, I like all three of the actors, so should enjoy it for that. Rivers sounds like a good tv show to watch, as does Raines.

Thank you for the (inadverdent) suggestions!

Annie

mybillcrider said...

Just remember that nobody likes Vibes except me.

Gerard said...

I do not remember much about VIBES but recall the joke where Goldblum is sitting down in a cafeteria, touches the table top, and says, "Someone had sex on this table."

Gerard said...

...and there is was in the trailer.

Todd Mason said...

Rotten Tomatoes is Not the arbiter of much of anything worth worrying about...I've missed this film so far.

I remember RAINES, would like to see RIVER, and will suggest the Goldblum with Alicia Witt and with Saffron Burrows episodes of LAW AND ORDER: CRIMINAL INTENT were among the best (though I've been fond of the Chris Noth and Annabella Sciorra and Julianne Nicholson episodes as well).

Unknown said...

It was a great movie, but I've always been the odd girl out if the critics like it I usual don't and if it gets awful reviews I love it, to this day I still love It's all about Steve when no one else does..