Saturday, October 17, 2015

How Judy and I Met

This is a repeat from 12-29-14.  Patti Abbott asked about it, so here it is again.

Judy and I met on December 29, 1960, on a blind date arranged by her friend Loibeth Black and my friend Fred Williams.  On the left you can read what Judy wrote in our wedding book about that night.  I remember exactly what she was wearing, and though she doesn't mention it, she also wore what was then called a mouton coat.  Just about every girl had one of those back then.  I wouldn't be at all surprised if it were in a closet somewhere in this house.  I don't know if she was impressed by me, but I was certainly impressed by her.  She was a senior in high school, and I was a freshman in college.  She was black-haired beauty.  I was a short-haired, four-eyed geek.  It didn't take me long to learn that she was also very smart, and if I didn't fall for her on that date, it wasn't long before I did.  After a few dates I could tell that she liked me, too, for reasons I'll never understand.

We always celebrated December 29 as an anniversary and gave each other a gift every year.   This is the first time since 1960 that we won't be together on this date.  I miss the old days.

16 comments:

Jerry House said...

Some of the old days are rightly missed, Bill. A lovely memory and a lovely tribute to a wonderful woman.

pattinase (abbott) said...

THANKS!!

pattinase (abbott) said...

I am picturing Jimmy Stewart and Donna Reed.

Unknown said...

More like Jerry Lewis and Donna Reed.

Unknown said...

This is a touching and delightful series of posts.

Jeff Meyerson said...

Of course it was a movie date. I remember when we met too, though at first it was just friends.

Keep sharing those great memories, if you would.

Jeff

Deb said...

I've said it before, but I hope you will consider putting these memories of your early days with Judy into a published memoir.

Unknown said...

Thanks, Deb, but I suspect the market is limited.

Cap'n Bob said...

Did you see her again at New Year's? These are wonderful stories.

Jeff Meyerson said...

Maybe it is just coincidence but that time of year seems a common meeting period. We got together for the first time on New Years Eve after knowing each other as friends for 2-3 months, and my parents met at a party on Christmas Eve and always celebrated that in the same way you celebrated the 29th.

Jeff

George said...

I love these stories of Judy and you! Thanks for sharing the SECRET ORIGINS of your relationship!

Jeff Meyerson said...

Jackie agrees with Deb about the appeal of a Bill & Judy love story memoir, but she is a romantic.

Jeff

Don Coffin said...

I love these stories and also love that you and Judy were together ever since; that is not all that usual any longer. But surely you wore something in addition to a heavy coat and lace-up shoes?

Unknown said...

I never wear shoes without socks.

Cap'n Bob said...

Not just shoes, shoes with laces. Going all out like that probably won her heart.

Gerard said...

The cat ate my sneaker laces this weekend. Dang cat.